Thursday, March 29, 2007

my near religious experience

For the past three weeks or so I have been moving from bar to bar around London and a few selected towns in Ireland. Europe is fucking expensive, my record to date is NZ$60 for a single local phone call of duration 10 minutes to an embassy in London. However the highlight of London was on the first Sunday, I found an establishment called ‘The Church’, however at this church you wont be a finding many bibles. It is a pub/club that opens at about 1pm and features live entertainment (Freddy Mercury impersonators, Strippers and Boat races) reasonably priced drinks and a massive atmosphere. However its not all fun, I saw some scientific research being conducted as I walked through the dance floor (over empty cans of beer and Woodstock) I saw a group of guys trying to answer the age old question as to whether hman flatulence is combustible. Sundays too are a big day in London, The Church, was followed by live music and beers at a pub near my hostel. Summary – the only thing that would make me want to live in London is The Church, God bless it!

Arriving in Ireland a few days before St Patrick’s Day was the best thing I’ve done in ages. Dublin was a buzz with Irish spirit. I met and stayed with an Irish bloke that I met while travelling Thailand, this turned out wonderfully, we spent four nights out in town in a row, three of them in anger (on the Guinness not other people). I’ll put up some photos but the atmosphere in Dublin for the Saturday and Sunday were off the hook, almost indescribable. Streets lined with drunken people in good spirit and plenty of ladies. In the city about every second buiding is a pub and the best thing is that they are all full, Guinness flowing and traditional music bleating...

PS. It's pointless to ask me about the street parade, I was nicely tucked up inside a pub.

No comments: